I did it; it’s done! After four months and twelve days I finished a project that’s actually taken nearly two years to do. First I had to dye the fiber
Once I was satisfied with all the colors I was going to use for one project I then started spinning said fiber. And while the spinning alone took a year, it’s a time I would not trade for I learned wonderful, valuable new skills in the process. I learned how to spin on supported spindles. I learned how to blend the fiber in a way that I was satisfied with the resulting color blending. I learned how to make proper fauxlags which made a lot of things easier in the process.
And I finally was able to pick a pattern that after a series of research and changes I thought would highlight the yarn at it’s best. It’s so serendipitous that when I went to cast on I had a yarn break that resulted in me using just a tad of the light-blue hank. For some reason (gut feeling) I switched to the bluish-purple since that was the smallest of the 5 hanks and what resulted was a nice blend that was a smack in the face with the deeper of the two colors.
As the shawl grew it grew quickly. I was zipping through the body of it so fast I for a brief moment that I could complete it in under a two month period. Next after bluish-purple came the remainder of the light-blue hank, followed by the lighter of the bluish-green. What followed was the darker of the bluish-green in which I discovered a difference in the yarn textures. This lead to me realizing that the fibers I spun on my heavier spindles (Purple Turk, Tipsy Elle, & Reliable Beauty) came out denser and thicker than the rest.
And finally the last of the 5 hanks; green. It came out to be the lightest, fluffiest, and strongest of the 5 hanks. My best spin of the lot. Ironically enough it had been spun on Penny which is the support spindle I find the most difficult to control. With this new information I learned a lot.
I learned that because I like thinner weight yarns (fingering, lace, cobweb, thread) to spin said types I must use my support spindles for the results I want. But, plying on the heavier spindles makes the plying experience move quickly.
I learned that although I made a lot of mistakes, although the beading drove me up the wall in the end, although I need to take better close up shots. I am beyond pleased with the final results of this item.
So now, although I am sans any projects on the needles. That won’t be for much longer…