I had not realized it had been a while since I posted. That’s unfortunate. But, in this time lapse there has been a decent amount of progress. I go through phases where I get a bit obsessed with something. Like a dog with a bone I won’t let it go. When it comes to books that usually results in me completing a series 1-3 books in 1-2 or 3 days and then rereading my favorite parts after just for pure enjoyment. I did/do that with the Hunger Games series all the time.
Recently it has been other popular books that have recently turned into movies. Such as The Fault in Our Stars. I know it’s the “cool/hip/happening” thing to do to read a book turned into a movie but then all the ones who loved the books prior to them becoming main stream feel everyone else are posers. To me however, sometimes you don’t hear about a good book until it becomes popular and just because it becomes popular doesn’t mean you’ll fall on the band wagon of fandom.
For instance, I recently read the If I stay series and didn’t care for it. But, I did like how the writer put the second book in the perspective of the guy which you don’t always see. But, I’m regressing. I say all this to say like books; I had got stuck on Winter is Coming. That is the fiber that I’ve had since February and had a lot of problems with. It came felted.
I tried spinning it as it was but it wouldn’t draft. So I made faux lags out of some of it and that made it a tad bit easier.
Then I got a tip on instagram about blending boards and over dyeing such fiber to improve it. The overdyeing isn’t necessary. But I wanted to do that so I did.
I don’t have a blending board so I did a homemade version. I used a wide tooth comb to align the fibers. Then I did my regular method for blending the colors. That’s where I separate the fibers staple-length-wise and repeated stack it upon it self until the fibers appear nicely blended. Then I spread the fibers out width-wise. After which I use one of the dowels that came with my niddy noddy to make the fauxlags.
Next came the spinning.
I ended up with 402yds of a heavy lace/light fingering weight.
It was so unbalanced that it took a squirting bottle and 2 5lb weights to settle the twist.
I am well pleased with this “bone”.