I didn’t mean to but in the hectic pace of day to day responsibilities I did. Updating wasn’t of primary concern because I thought I had.
Study of Stripes is progressing beautifully. I had hoped three colors but, the light green is lasting way longer than I thought it would. Pond has nearly gone by the way side. I’ve rapidly eaten through an entire 463yds + already.
I unable to control myself signed up for a test knit.
I was debating between these two hoping to use Sunset (the darker already caked one) rather than Poppy Field but, Poppy Field worked with the designers lace pattern better.
All else is relatively well. Update again when I have more to show.
I’ve spoken a bit previously about recently changing my tension and increasing my knitting speed but, I hadn’t shared specifics or visuals of how. After discussing it without knowing how to properly explain otherwise I feel a post is best.
So first I wrap my yarn around my left wrist counterclockwise.
This I do for both knit and purl stitches which greatly decreases my need to drop the yarn to re-tension differently. I also pull my arms towards my chest to minimize movement and to add a bit more tension on the end of the yarn strand coming from the ball. (It works some how)
For knit stitches this is the way I tension the yarn around my hand.
And I knit.
For purl this is how I tension my yarn.
I then purl by swirling my thumb towards my palm which lowers muscle strain, aches, and joint pain. (I have tendinitis/carpal tunnel in my hands. Doctors differ in their opinions)
When it comes to the next row. Instead of picking up my work and turning it I do this:
After the last stitch I take the just worked needle (the one the stitches ended on) and bend it towards me instead of away. And start knitting. This way I won’t have to keep turning the work back and forth and it get tangled. The outside of the work will always be the outside because I’m not twisting it. It’s like knitting in the round although I’m knitting flat. I’ll try to show a picture.
For tutorial purposes say the picture above is the end of the row. I’ll take the current right needle and bend it towards me using my left hand. (The working yarn as you can see is already tensioned from the previous row.) Then I’ll take the left needle and swoop it backwards to bring it around to my right hand. Work has been turned without fiddling with the weight of the project and I can keep knitting.
When I can find someone who can work a camera like I need I’ll demonstrate further. In the meantime this video by laylock on YouTube and Ravelry will show how I purl but using my tension method shown above.
When it comes to knitting I’m sure I’m no different from many others. I have a hard time sticking to one project or want to “cast-on all the things” and so have a difficult time picking a new one to start. A few months ago I organized my queue on Ravelry in a few ways. One way was I ordered based off if I owned the pattern already. Then it was based off the level of time commitment required to knit it. And finally how much yarn it required.
I tried to put the quicker knits higher on the list to finish them first. But as often we find with ourselves, the one I wanted to work on didn’t automatically land in those top spots.
Stripe Study Shawl was one of them. I didn’t own it. It required a lot of time commitment, & a lot of yarn for the size I wanted.
But then, it was gifted to me after I won a draw in one of the groups I’m in. I had an idea of the yarn I wanted to use and I had said yarn. And although it still wouldn’t technically be a short-term project it was the one my eye kept gravitating towards.
But first, I had a deadline to cast-on and finish Kyron’s winter cowl.
And I had to give it to him.
And so after four hours of my time today I have this to show for it…
Not bad. I think I can get use to monogamous knitting. I tend to get things finished quicker when I reward myself with another project I’m itching to cast-on.
I had prewritten a post last month. It was in hopes of publishing it by the end of this month on the cusp of my completing Emeraude.
I finally got to the collar and lapels. I bound off. And then realized it looked funky.
I begrudgingly accepted I would have to pick apart the bind-off and do it as per pattern which I had neglected to do. But, in starting this endeavor I did two things. First: prior to this realization I tried the cardigan on which I’ve done at various times throughout its growth. It was looking hideously humongous. Others kept saying it was fine and looked nice but when your left arm hole (without the sleeve knitted on) can cover your left breast that doesn’t look good on anyone.
I realize now the knitting can be good, the pattern can be good, but that doesn’t mean it looks good on you. After realizing the bind-off needed reworking I came to my second realization. I’ve willingly albeit not eagerly reworked various aspects of Emeraude because I couldn’t live with one mistake or another I’d made and yet I never seemed willing to tackle the underlying issue; its size.
It’s much too big. I’ve thus decided to do something I never thought myself capable of doing with a project of this magnitude. I’m ripping it out just to start over (perhaps at a later date I haven’t decided yet) with the proper size. To do this I’m going to do what I should have done with the first gauge swatch but neglected to do. I’m going to do the stockinette stitch section but also the lace section then measure, block, & measure again to get a clear indication of how much it will stretch and how.
In the meantime, say hello to Kyron’s winter weather gift I promised last year.
Which will soon look something like a Handbrake by Kay F. Jones